The City of Sydney launched its C40 Women4Climate Mentorship Program in May, with Mayor Clover Moore stating “Climate action is the City of Sydney’s top priority”, as reflected in the City’s 2030 Strategy and Climate Emergency declaration.
Ahead of the Global Climate Strike called for 20 September, the program’s 20 mentees are taking this opportunity to share the vision for each of their projects, and their view on climate activism. The outcomes of their projects will be presented at the global Women4Climate Conference in Sydney in March 2020.
Together We Stand
This is a climate emergency. In one week we will take to the streets and call for action. Stand with us as we stand up for our next generations.
On this Friday the 13th of September, we would like to reiterate 13 of our messages in support of climate action.
- “As a citizen, woman and mother I demand that we address this climate emergency now. We can do this.”
- “At this crucial time, we must come together and stress the necessity to act on and support the future of our planet for future generations.”
- “I will see you on the street on 20 September 2019 to stand with youth to demand climate action.”
- “A few hours of solidarity on the streets is important to re-energise and re-engage when people are feeling a need for both ‘outrage and optimism’.”
- “Facing the scale of this problem can become very overwhelming, but the strike gives us the opportunity to join with thousands of others in Sydney, and millions worldwide, to call for action and re-energise for the challenge ahead.”
- “My hope for the strike is that it provides a moment of reflection for those not yet aware or active on the climate issue; to offer them insight into why warming temperatures will impact them directly and how they can act to be part of the solution.”
- “The climate strike shows we aren’t alone and we are working towards something greater than any single person.”
- “I want the youth activists to know that they are not alone and that there are plenty of adults who agree that there is no time left to mince words.”
- “I will be on the street on 20 September to join the young strikers demanding climate justice for everyone.”
- “This growing movement, started by children themselves who understand the truth better than many adults, has inspired me to stay positive. To keep fighting. We are more powerful than we think.”
- “History will not judge the laggards kindly, but it will celebrate all the people who step up to lead us into a new fairer, sustainable, connected world.”
- “We as a community have a choice to be remembered as the generation that stood up, or the one that stood back.”
- “If not you, then who? If not now, then when?”